- September 21, 2018
API testing (Application Programming Interface Testing) is a software testing type which focuses on the determination if the developed APIs meet expectations regarding the functionality, reliability, performance, and security of the application. In this post we see top 8 tools used for API Testing.
The interest in API/Web services testing has been growing steadily over the last couple of years, according to Google Trends. Research by Smartbear over 5,000 software professionals in 2017 showed that the number of API testers automating more than 50% of their tests is expected to grow by 30% (from 59% to 77%) in the next two years.
We provide a brief summary of the top API testing tools covering both open-source and commercial solutions that testing teams uses. SoapUI, Katalon Studio, and Postman are the top-three tools in the list.
SoapUI is a headless functional testing tool dedicated to API testing, allowing users to test REST and SOAP APIs and Web Services easily.
Free package: Using the free package of SOAPUI, users can get the full source code and build their preferred features.
- Create test quickly and easily with Drag and drop, Point-and-click
- Reusability of Scripts: load tests and security scans can be reused for functional test cases in a just several steps
- Quickly create custom code using Groovy
- Powerful data-driven testing: Data loaded from files, and databases, and Excel so that they can simulate how consumers interact with the APIs
- Support native CI/CD integrations, asynchronous testing
2. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a free test automation tool for API, Web and Mobile applications. It is emerging as a leading tool for API/Web services testing and positioning itself as a comprehensive end-to-end automation solution for both developers and testers.
Katalon Studio supports both SOAP and REST requests with various types of commands and parameterization functionalities. Moreover, the capability of combining UI and API/Web services for multiple environments (Windows, Mac OS, and Linux) has been considered a unique advantage of Katalon Studio among the top API tools.
- Support both SOAP and Rest
- All-in-one shop for API, WebUI and Mobile testing and the combined capabilities among those.
- Support data-driven approach.
- Can be used for automated and exploratory testing
- Support CI/CD integration.
- Support AssertJ, one of the most potent assertion library, to create fluent assertion with BDD style
- Suitable for both non-techies and pros via Manual and Groovy Scripting modes.
Being originally a Chrome browser plugin, Postman now extends their solution with the native version for both Mac and Windows.
Postman is a good choice for API testing for those who don’t want to deal with coding in an integrated development environment using the same language as the developers.
- Easy-to-use REST client
- Rich interface which makes it easy to use
- Can be used for both automated and exploratory testing
- Can be run on Mac, Windows, Linux & Chrome Apps
- Has a bunch of integrations like support for Swagger & RAML formats.
- Has Run, Test, Document and Monitoring Features
- Doesn’t require learning a new language
- Enable users to easily share the knowledge with the team as they can package up all the requests and expected responses, then send to their colleagues.
Apigee is a cross-cloud API testing tool, allowing users to measure and test API performance, supports and build API using other editors like Swagger.
- Allows the design monitor, deploy, and scale APIs
- Identify performance issues by tracking API traffic, error rates, and response times
- Easily create API proxies from the Open API Specification and deploy them in the cloud
- Cloud, on-premise, or hybrid deployment model on a single code base
- PCI, HIPAA, SOC2, and PII for apps and APIs
- Apigee is purpose-built for digital business, and the data-rich mobile-driven APIs and apps that power it.
JMeter (open source) is widely used for functional API testing although it is actually created for load testing.
- Supports replaying of test results
- Automatically work with CSV files, allowing the team to quickly create unique parameter values for the API tests.
- Users can include the API tests in CI pipelines thank to the integration between JMeter and Jenkins
- It can be used for both static as well as dynamic resources performance testing
6. Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca is a continuous testing platform for Agile and DevOps. Benefits of Tricentis Tosca include:
- Supports many array of protocols: HTTP(s) JMS, AMQP, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, IBM MQ,NET TCP
- Integrates into the Agile and DevOps Cycle
- Maximize reuse and maintainability with model-based test automation
- API tests can be used across mobile, cross-browser, packaged apps, etc…
- Achieve sustainable automation with new technology
- Reduce the time of regression testing
Rest-Assured is an open-source Java Domain-specific language that makes testing REST service more simple.
- Have a bunch of baked-in functionalities, which means users don’t have to code things from scratch.
- Integrates seamlessly with Serenity automation framework, so that users can combine the UI and REST tests all in one framework that generates awesome reports.
- Support BDD Given/When/Then syntax
- Users don’t necessarily need to be an HTTP expert
Assertible is an API testing tool which concentrates on the automation and reliability.
- Support for automating API tests through each step of a continuous integration and delivery pipeline.
- Support for running API tests after deployments and integrates with familiar tools like GitHub, Slack, and Zapier.
- Support validating HTTP responses with turn-key assertions such as JSON Schema validation and JSON Path data integrity checks